This can be a Willys Jeep “Ahead Management” FC-150, a automobile styled by celebrated industrial designer Brooks Stevens and based mostly on the identical chassis because the Jeep CJ-5 to make sure broad elements compatibility.
The FC-150 was developed as a extra sensible different to the common Jeep, with three seats up entrance and a comparatively giant cargo field within the again. Willys hoped the FC-150 sequence could be used for agricultural and industrial functions, nevertheless it by no means bought within the numbers they’d projected.
Quick Info – The Willys Jeep “Ahead Management” FC-150
- The Willys Jeep FC-150 was launched in 1956 as a part of Willys-Overland’s effort to diversify their product line past the normal CJ sequence Jeeps. The Ahead Management design was a radical shift from the standard Jeep format, impressed by the effectivity of cab-over-engine truck structure. The thought was to create a compact however succesful utility automobile that maximized cargo house inside a small footprint, excellent for agricultural, industrial, and municipal purposes.
- The FC-150 design is credited to industrial designer Brooks Stevens. It featured a cab-over-engine format – this association allowed a big cargo mattress in a automobile with a brief wheelbase. Initially, it used the identical 81 inch wheelbase because the CJ-5. The drivetrain and powertrain elements have been largely borrowed from the present CJ fashions, together with the Willys Hurricane engine, a 2.2 liter inline-four recognized for its reliability.
- The Ahead Management was adept in varied roles, from farm work to mild industrial duties. Willys-Overland additionally launched a number of variants, together with the FC 170 variant with an extended wheelbase and larger cargo capability. Specialised variations corresponding to hearth vehicles and rescue autos have been additionally developed, and an idea for a civilian minivan was additionally designed – one of many first of its type.
- Manufacturing of the FC-150 continued by way of the late Fifties into the mid-Nineteen Sixties. In 1958, the wheelbase was prolonged to 94 inches to enhance stability and dealing with. Over its manufacturing years, the FC-150 noticed varied minor modifications in its design and mechanical elements, although the elemental idea remained unchanged.
- Various variations have been constructed abroad in India and Spain, manufacturing of Jeep Ahead Management variants continued in these two international locations for many years after the mannequin was discontinued in america, nicely into the Nineteen Eighties.
One Of The Most Environment friendly Pickup Vans Of Its Time
The Jeep Ahead Management was one of the crucial modern autos of its type within the mid-Twentieth century. By 1958 it was providing a 1:1 ratio between its curb weight and payload – the bottom ratio supplied by a home producer at the moment in the usual light-duty industrial market section.
The rationale for this glorious payload-to-curb-weight ratio was the design of the FC-150, it made unbelievable use of chassis house – providing a full 78 inch pickup mattress though it solely had a wheelbase of 81 inches and a complete size of 147.5 inches.
The Ahead Management was initially supplied because the FC-150 variant from 1956 onwards, this was joined by the FC-170 a yr later in 1957. These would stay the 2 main variations, although ideas have been developed for others, and there was a dual-wheeled rear axle (dually) FC-170 DRW produced in restricted numbers.
Some army variants of the FC-170 have been developed they usually proved higher in lots of respects to the Dodge M37, with 50% extra cargo house, room for 12 troops as an alternative of solely 8, higher gas economic system, twice the mileage, and a 700 lb increased load score.
Later examples of the Ahead Management design that have been constructed below license in India by Mahindra & Mahindra Restricted in Mumbai (previously Bombay) got bus our bodies and would frequently carry way over their official load score.
Though the Jeep Ahead Management would by no means promote within the desired numbers in america, it might develop into the veritable spine of many cities in India and a key cargo truck in Spain, it might stay in manufacturing in each of those nations for over 20 years after US manufacturing ceased.
The Jeep FC-150 Ahead Management
The Jeep Ahead Management was developed within the mid-Fifties as a flexible pickup truck-style automobile that used the identical chassis and drivetrain because the pre-existing Jeep CJ-5 – a automobile that itself had been developed from the inspiration of the WWII-era Willys Jeep.
Fact be instructed, the CJ-5 platform wasn’t notably well-suited to cargo hauling on account of its comparatively quick wheelbase, so industrial designer Brooks Stevens was tasked with the considerably tough job of packaging all of it collectively, and by all accounts he lived as much as his popularity.
Stevens developed his design with inspiration from the environment friendly format of cab-over-engine truck structure. He shifted the cab nicely ahead and up over what was the engine bay on the CJ-5. This nonetheless allowed house for 3 seats however opened up a 78 inch pickup mattress behind.
The FC-150 nonetheless used the metal ladder body chassis of the CJ-5, in addition to the identical engine and drivetrain, brakes, and a model of the identical suspension – this all vastly diminished improvement prices and largely eradicated a lot of the retooling that might have been required in any other case.
On the time of its launch in 1956, the FC-150 was powered by the Hurricane engine, a 2.2 liter flathead inline-four. Later variations would obtain the three.7 liter Tremendous Hurricane inline-six, and a small quantity could be powered by the Ford Y-block V8.
Energy was despatched again by way of a 3-speed Borg-Warner T-90 guide transmission, which was upgraded to the 4-speed Borg-Warner T-98 guide from 1958 onwards, and a dual-range switch case to both the rear wheels solely or all 4 wheels.
The automobile rides on reside axles on leaf springs back and front, with 4 wheel drum brakes, and it has non-power assisted steering – as you might have anticipated for a rugged 4×4 designed within the Fifties.
The Ahead Management would stay in manufacturing, with varied upgrades, from 1956 till 1965. That mentioned, and as famous additional up, variations of the automobile being constructed below license in India and Spain remained in manufacturing nicely into the Nineteen Eighties.
The 1962 Willys Jeep FC-150 Proven Right here
The automobile you see here’s a Willys Jeep Ahead Management FC-150 from 1962 – that is later within the manufacturing run and so it advantages from various upgrades that had been utilized to the mannequin sequence over its manufacturing run.
As soon as of those upgrades was the change of the automobile’s monitor width from 48 inches to 57 inches in 1958. This modification elevated the soundness of the FC-150 and it coincided with the swap from a 3-speed to a 4-speed guide transmission – in consequence these later FC-150s are sometimes extra wanted by fanatics.
This FC-150 has been restored in some unspecified time in the future in its life, although the itemizing doesn’t go into an excessive amount of element about it. It’s completed in an exquisite shade of yellow, with matching yellow wheel hubs, and it rides on metal wheels fitted with BF Goodrich All Terrain tires.
As you would possibly count on, energy is offered by the two.2 liter Hurricane inline-four and it has the proper 4-speed field and dual-range switch case. Inside you’ll discover black vinyl trimmed seats and yellow paint on the uncovered steel that matches the outside.
Inside you’ll additionally discover a cabin heater, a hearth extinguisher, some wall-mounted storage on the edges of the cab, and a interval Swedish-language instruction guide for the automobile.
This FC-150 is now being supplied on the market out of Karlstad, Sweden on Gathering Vehicles. If you happen to’d wish to learn extra about it or register to bid you possibly can go to the itemizing right here.
Photographs courtesy of Gathering Vehicles
Articles that Ben has written have been coated on CNN, Widespread Mechanics, Smithsonian Journal, Street & Observe Journal, the official Pinterest weblog, the official eBay Motors weblog, BuzzFeed, Autoweek Journal, Wired Journal, Autoblog, Gear Patrol, Jalopnik, The Verge, and lots of extra.
Silodrome was based by Ben again in 2010, within the years for the reason that website has grown to develop into a world chief within the different and classic motoring sector, with nicely over one million month-to-month readers from around the globe and lots of lots of of hundreds of followers on social media.